Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I accidently ate Octopus


As some of ya’ll heard, I accidently ate octopus. So this is the Food section of my blog. Lol. Well, what had happened was, the pastor and his wife took me on a boat trip to see a fireworks show.

Now, everything in Japan is catered. So, they were giving free meals, beer, tea, and drinks. Well take out in japan is different than chinese take out in the states. Here, they have plates that have about 6 or more different sections, with different foods. So this one, had a rice rolls, salmon, veggies, fruit, and a bunch of other meat and stuff. So, I’m picking through the food the best as I can to not be disrespectful, and I found a veggie portion. Ever since I’ve been in Japan, I’ve eating vegetables that I would never eat back in the states. It’s out of necessity. It doesn’t taste so great all the time, but brother’s gotta eat. I’m skinny enough. Well, I’m looking at the portion, and it looks like radish, and onions, and spinach. So I take a bite. Mmmm, not bad. Kinda salty. Then I look down again, and behold, my eyes lay upon tentacles. Yes, tentacles. Staring me in the face, in the midst of the rest of God’s natural plants. Obviously, I couldn’t eat anymore after that. Lol, next time, I’m just picking and dissecting everything.

Well, from what I’ve experienced here in Japan, I doubt I’ll gain much wait. All the food is sooooo tiny. I just need a good Ol’ Diner you know? Well, they love italian food. I swear there’s an Italian restaurant in Japan for every McD’s in the states. And they have many many lil ramen noodle shops everywhere. So there is always food around. They love noodles, there are two types that I know of so far. The fatter noodles called Udon, and some other skinnier type. The broth is sooo delicious. And it is VERY polite to slurp. Yes, please slurp as loud as you can. Rice is also very very big out here. Rice balls, wrapped in seaweed. Or just with your meal. Doesn’t matter. It’s white rice everywhere.

Now, the fish here is different from the states. As in, everything is Fresh fish. So it took me a while to know if I’m eating Salmon or something else. For those who don’t know what fresh fish tastes like, it’s basically salty and tastes like the sea. And the way they prepare their fish is amazing. It’s breaded, or fried, or pealed like lil paper thin pieces that they put on top of a hot bowl of Udon which tastes great. So, I guess I’ll be living off of rice, noodles, fish, and vegetables while I’m here. Being vegetarian here is kinda tough, so I wonder how long that will last. lol.

Of course western culture has it’s way here. You can find KFC, McD’s, 7-11s, and Starbucks. Yes STARBUCKS. Problem is, there is nooo Vente or Grande. Just Talls. And definitely no Super-size. Everything here is in small portions.
Oh, and chopsticks is a must. They can give you fork and knife, but Chopsticks
are so much better after you get used to it. Makes it easier to pick up the noodles, rice, and veggies at the same time.

Well, hopefully that answers some questions. Let me know if you want more info.

No comments: