Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I’m the only one...


People here are SOOO nice and friendly. Unfortunately, I have not seen ONE person of color, aka Black, in the last 4 or 5 days in Hiroshima. Nevertheless, I’m not getting stared at that bad. Lol. It’s pretty cool. But I love going out to eat because the waitresses are sooo nice, and make you feel so welcome. Wherever you go.

One night, as I was biking home. I stopped at a Noodles shop which I thought was open. So I walked in, and the guy told me they were closed. He apologized so much. I was like it’s cool. So as I was unlocking my bike to leave, he came back out and apologized some more. He was telling me that it’s a special holiday weekend and they closed early. He even told me to come back for their wednesday night special. We spoke for more than I expected, but it was sooo nice of him. And that’s how everyone is here.

Last night, I finally found a lil Jazz spot and was listening to the show. I’ll give more detail later, but I didn’t have enough Yen (Japanese Dollars) for the show and he told me just give it to him next time. I mean, that does not happen in the states when you meet the person for the first time.

Everything is about catering to the other person. It is so nice. Thankfully, I’m such an individual here, most waitresses recognize me when I go by their restaurant. lol.

Everyone here is so small. Like, I’m average height back home, and here I’m on the taller size. There are people my height or taller, but not that normal to see. So, it is very hard for me to go shopping. And clothes here is expensive. I saw a pair of Gap jeans at an Outlet, for like $100. Goodness.

It’s really great having conversations with people here. You can’t help to just smile as you try your best to communicate with them. They are also very open as long as you can say a few words in Japanese. Just give them a Konnichi wa, and you’ll hear their life story.

Till next time!!!

No comments: