Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I sleep on the floor


So, when I first got here, I was staying at a guest house owned by the Japanese Union Conference with the other missionaries. And I got spoiled living there because I slept on a real bed. lol. Had a kitchen table with regular chairs. Even had an oven under the stove. And I had a semi-regular bathtub/shower. Fixed me.

When I walked into my apartment in Hiroshima, my mouth dropped. It was sooo small. lol, This two bedroom apartment could fit in most of ya’lls living rooms. Lol. But I’m used to it now. Well, before you walk in, you must take off your shoes. Japan also has a tradition to face them towards the door so when a volcano erupts, you can easily put them on and leave. Also, right before you enter the apartment, there is my only toilet. In a little room. Only benefit is, it has heated seats, and those butt washer things. lol. Haven’t used that yet.

Well past the curtain is my living room, with a very low coffee table which heats up in the winter. I heard it’s tradition to sit around it during winter and eat oranges. Or something like that. To the right of my couch is my cupboard, It has the plates, utensils, chopsticks, etc. Notice how it’s not even IN the kitchen. Lol.

The kitchen has all the necessities. Except the oven. I heard there are not many ovens in Japan. They use the microwave for everything, It can act like a microwave or an oven. I haven’t figured out all of that yet, i just push buttons till it starts. lol.

Ahh, the washroom. A site to see. It is separated in two. One half has the sink and the washer, and the other room has the tub and water heater. All the water flows into that room where it drains into the floor. If I need hot water, I have to turn on the gas, push and turn one knob, click the pilot, hold it down till it stays lit, then turn again. Then I can shower with hot water. Wow, talk about not having emergency showers.

Our bedrooms are very classic Japanese as in they have straw matted floors, and we sleep on Futons. We have to make our bed everyday, at leased supposed to be. I just keep it in the corner. Our rooms are split by those sliding doors. The only bad part is, that smell of straw is getting annoying. (That reminds me, I forgot to buy air freshener, it’s so stale in the apartment. The humidity and all.)

I do have a GREAT view of the city. I know Miguel would be soooo jealous. I can see a river, a lil park, and buildings. Great scene at night or day. Sunday morning these guys were water skiing in the river. Hiroshima is made of rivers and little land inlets. Imagine your hand spread out where your fingers are land, and the space in between are rivers.

Oh, trash. Hiroshima is Very clean. Well, JAPAN is very clean. A lot of us American missionaries noticed that there is like not trash outside. Wherever you go. Japan separates the trash to a T. For example, plastic goes in one, combustibles go in another. They separate paper, and wood, etc. And if you are eating outside, you most likely will bring your trash home to dispose of it properly. And if there is food in the container you about to throw away, you must wash it. And this has it’s benefits. I swear I see no flies or roaches at all. lol. I know they are there somewhere, but I can’t find them. Not that I’m looking for them.

Uhhhh...I think that’s it about my living conditions. Oh, there is no such thing as privacy here. People would just walk in and say hello. So I make sure I lock my apartment door. Also, people are very safe here, as in, my neighbor never, I repeat, NEVER closes her apartment door. It’s just wide open. Day or night.

No comments: